scroll down and click on the grade to open the corresponding syllabus
2 Kalai Keerthana with Ragam, Niraval, Kalpana Swaram with Korvai
( OR )
- Sarali varisai – (1 to 14) in 1 st speed
- Jantai varisai – (1 to 9) in 1st speed
- Lower stayi varisai – (1 to 5) in 1st speed
- Upper stayi varisai – (1 to 5) in 1st speed
- Importance of Carnatic music
- Basic Terminologies in Carnatic music
- Sapta Swaras
- Who is the father of Carnatic music?
- Name the seven swaras of Carnatic music.
- Name the raga in which the basic exercises are taught in Carnatic music, Hindustani music, western music.
- What is the term for upper octave?
- Name the branches of Indian music.
- Indian music originated from which branch of the Vedas?
- What is the term for sruthi in physics of music?
- What is ACHALA Swaram?
- What are the types of Swaram?
- What is the term for a completion of one full cycle of the Talam?
- What are the types of Nadam?
- Human voice comes under which type of Nadam?
- How many Aksharams are there in Adi talam?
- What is the equivalent name for Mayamalavagoula in Hindustani music?
- What is the basic unit of Talam called?
- What is the other name for Aadhi talam?
- Nishadam note is associated with which sound of the animal?
- What are the Suddha swaras?
- Which instrument is used to maintain the Sruthi in most Carnatic concerts?
- Sarali varisai – (1 to 14) in 2nd and 3rd speed
- Jantai varisai – (1 to 9) in 2nd speed
- Lower stayi varisai – (1 to 5) in 2nd and 3rd speed
- Upper stayi varisai – (1 to 5) in 2nd and 3rd speed
- Dhaatu varisai – (1 to 2) in 1st and 2nd speed
- Nottu swaras of Muthuswami Dhikshitar – 5
- Angas of the Tala
- Swaras and Swarasthanas
- Biography of Sri Purandaradasar
- Seats of Music
- Biography of Andal
- Name the Angas of an Adhi talam.
- What is the Tala term for one beat and finger counts?
- What is the Tala term for one beat and a turn?
- Name the 12 Swarasthanas.
- Why is Purandara dasa called the Pitamaha(father) of Carnatic music?
- Andal is the only women composer given the status as one among the?
- The Pasurams composed by Andal are called?
- What are the works of Andal other than the Pasurams?
- What is the term for R1, R2 in Hindustani music?
- What are Purandara dasa’s compositions called?
- Purandara dasa composed music in which language?
- Andal’s pasuram are composed in which language?
- What are the Swarasthanas of Mayamalavagoula?
- Name some of the patrons of music.
- What is the mudra of Muthuswami Dikshtar?
- Give examples of Nottu swarams where you can find Muthuswamy Dikshitar’s mudra?
- Nottu swarams come under which musical form?
- From where did Muthuswamy Dikshitar derive the inspiration for composing the Nottu swarams?
- Name the highest title awarded by the Tamil Nadu Government for artists?
- Name a few Sabhas in Chennai that still uphold the concert tradition during the music season.
- Based on which Anga sapta talas expand into 35 talas?
- Sarali varisai in Shankarabaranam and Karaharapriya raga – (1st and 2nd Speed)
- Dhaatu varisai – (1 to 2) in 3rd speed
- Sapta Tala Alangaram – 1st and 2nd speed
- Geetham 5 – Malahari, Mohanam, Saveri, Kalyani, Kamboji
- Jathiswaram – 2 (Tanjai Nalvar ) – Any ragas
- Ragalakshanam of Malahari, Mohanam, Saveri, Kalyani, Kamboji
- Aarohanam and Avarohanam
- Classification of Instruments (String, wind and percussion)
- Structure of Lakshiya geetham
- Introduction about Raga
- Tala terms
- What is the use of Arohanam and Avarohanam?
- What are the Tamil terms for Arohanam and Avarohanam?
- Recite the Arohanam and Avarohanam with Swarasthanas of Kalyani, Saveri, Kambodhi, Malahari.
- How are the notes belonging to the middle, lower and higher octaves represented?
- Name all the five octaves.
- What is the Tamil term for middle, lower and higher octaves?
- Name the Angas that features in Sapta tala alangaram?
- Name a few wind instruments.
- Magudi – is this a string instrument or Wind instrument or Percussion instrument?
- Name the Sapta talas in a sequential order.
- What are the other names for Lakshiya geethams?
- Mention a Geetham which has the composer’s mudra.
- Who is described in “Keraya nee ranu” Geetham?
- Can you name the composer who has composed 1000 Geethams?
- Geethams are a type of what?
- The stanzas that feature in a Geethams are called?
- What are the two main divisions under which a raga is categorized?
- Before the concept of raga, which term prevailed? The raga scales were called?
- Mention a Geetham which is rendered on Lord Rama?
- What is the Talam you get if you add a Lagu to Rupaka talam?
- Aadhi talam comes under which one out of the Sapta talas?
- What is the equivalent name for the Ragams in Tamilisai?
- Sarali varisai in Kalyani and Hemavathi raga
- Sapta Tala Alangaram in 3rd speed and Akaram practice
- Alangarams to be sung in Chapu talas (Thisra, kanda, misra) in different speeds
- Swarajathi – 2
- Divyanama keerthana – 2 (Sri Thiayagarajar’s)
- Utsava Sampradhaya keerthana – 2 (Sri Thiayagarajar’s)
- Bhadrachala Ramadasar – 2
- Devarnama – 2 (Sri Purandaradasar’s)
- Thiruvarutpa – 1 ( Vallalar’s)
- Ashtapathi – 1 (Sri Jeyadevar’s)
- Any Bharathiyar song – 1
- Definition of Jathiswaram and Swarajathi
- Accompaniments of vocal and instrumental in concerts
- Understanding of Notation symbols
- Definition of Krithi and Keerthanai
- Explain the structure of Jathiswaram
- Explain the structure of Swarajathi
- Name some of the modern age composers of Kritis.
- Which is a dance musical form Jathiswaram or Swarajathi?
- Which composer gave Swarajathi the status of a concert musical form?
- Mention some of the instruments that accompany a Carnatic vocal concert?
- Mention some of the instruments that accompany a Sampradaya bhajan concert?
- Name few “Upa- Paka vadyams”
- Name the instruments that feature in a Periya Melam kutcherri.
- Mention a few instruments that are played during the rituals in a temple?
- Name the instruments that accompany a Hindustani vocal concert?
- Name a few instruments that accompany a dance concert?
- Give the name of the instrument that accompanies the whole concert as a drone.
- What does the following symbols represent?
- , (comma) -
- ; (semicolon) –
- | (vertical line) –
- || (double vertical line) –
- Ġġ a dot above the note –
- A dot below the note –
- Two dots above the note-
- Two dots below the note-
- – (hyphen) –
- O2 -
- I3 –
- I5 -
- Mention the ornamental Angas that feature in a Kriti.
- Who is the composer of Navagraha kritis, Kovur Pancharatnam, Mohanatarangini, Navaratri kritis?
- Who is the composer of Utsava Sampradaya Keertanais?
- Mention one difference between a Kriti and a Keertana.
- If the Kriti starts before the tala starts then that Eduppu is called?
- In Sri Tyagaraja Keeratanai the mudra of the composer is found in which part of the Keertanai?
- What is the term for Kriti which has lyrics in different languages?
- Who developed a notation system in Hindustani Music?
- Name the instrument that accompanied Gnana Smabandar when he rendered the Tevaram?
- Who was the pioneer in introducing the musical form kriti?
- Alagaram in any Audava and Shadava ragas
- Tana varnam – Adi tala – (Mohanam, Shankarabaranam, Abogi, Hamsadvani)
The below Krithis should be in Adi tala and in Rupaka talam
- Sri Thiyagarajar Krithi – in any 2 of the following ragas (Mohanam, Shankarabaranam, Abogi, Hamsathvani)
- Sri Muthuswami Dheekshithar Krithi – in any 2 of the following ragas (Amirthavarshini, Kalyani, Suddha Saveri , Nattai )
- Gopala krishna bharathi – 2 ( Any Raga )
- Sadasiva Bhramendral – 2 ( Any Raga )
- Vedanayagam pillai - 1( Any Raga )
- Neelakanta Sivan – 1 ( Any Raga )
- Annamachari - 2 ( Any Raga )
- Tarangam- 2
- Meera bajan – 1
- Kavadi Chindu - 1
- Definition of Poorvangam and Uthrangam
- Introduction about Raga (72 Melakartha) janya, varja, vakra, upanga, bhashanga
- Musical forms in Carnatic music
- Biography of Seergazhi Moovar (Arunachala kavirayar, Muthu Thandavar, Marimutha Pillai)
- Who formulated the 72 Melakarta system?
- What do you mean by Poorvangam and Utharangam in terms of varnam, saptaswaras, 72 melakartas and a pallavi?
- Using which formula can we find the number of a Melakarta?
- What are the other names for a Melakarta?
- What are the qualities of a Melakarta ragam?
- Ragas like Bairavi, Anandabairavi have all the seven notes. Are they a Melakarta ragam? If not, why?
- What are the musical forms that are performed on a concert platform?
- Mention the musical form that comes under both Abyasa gaanam and Sabha gaanam.
- Mention the Musical forms that also comes under dance musical forms?
- In which musical form Anupallavi can be sung first and then followed by Pallavi?
- According to the 72 Melakarta scheme what are the names of Malavagoula, Thodi, Kalyani, Shankarabaranam and Pantuvarali.
- Which Melakarta scheme was followed by Muthuswamy Dhikshitar ?
- In 72 Melakarta scheme how many are Vivadi, Non- vivadi, Shuddha madhyama melas and Pratimadhyama melas.
- What is the names of the Shuddha madhyama mela you get by changing the Pratimadhyamam of Salagam, Gavambodhi, Dhavalambari
- What is the equivalent name for Melakarta in Hindustani music and how many are there in Hindustani Music
- What are the types of Janya ragas?
- What are the names for the different types of Varja ragas in Tamilisai and Carnatic Music:
- Ragas with 6 notes
- Ragas with 5 notes
- Ragas with 4 notes
- Who were called the Seergazhi Moovar?
- What was the name of the work composed by Arunachala Kavirayar?
- Muthu Tandavar was famous for composing ________
- Tana varnam in any Pradhimadhyama ragas – 2
- Pada varnam – 1 in any raga
- Tharu varnam – 1 in any raga
- Ragamalika varnam – 1
Keerthanaigal in following Ragas with basic level Ragam and Kalpana Swaram practice ( Shanmugapriya , Simhendramadyamam , Pantuvarali , Mayamalavagoula , Hindolam , Vasantha , Kamas , Arabhi , Keeravani)
- Sri Thiyagarajar keerthana – 2 (Panchanathisar or Dharmasamvarthini 1 and any other one Sri Thiyagarajar’s )
- Sri Muthuswami Dheekshithar – 2
- Sri Shyama sasthri – 2
- Ambujam Krishna – 2
- Periyasamidooran – 2
- Gana raga Pancharathnam – 2 (Arabi and Gowlai)
- Gopala krishna bharathi pancharathnam – 1( Nattai , Gowlai , Arabhi , Varali , Sri )
- Shyama sastri swarajathi – 1( Bhairavi , Yadukula komboji , Thodi )
- Definition of Tana Varnam, pada Varnam and taru Varnam
- Life History of Musical Trinities
- Dasavitha gamakam
- Manodarma Sangeetham
- Explain the structure of Tana varnam?
- Explain the structure of Pada varnam
- Explain the structure of Daru varnam?
- Where is Daru varnam performed?
- What Is the use of Daru varnam?
- What are the ornamental Angas featuring in Muthuswamy Dikshitar’s kritis explain with examples.
- Name the opera composed by Sri Thyagarajar.
- Name the Kriti of Sri Thyagaraja where he mentioned about Purandara Dasa.
- What are the exceptional aspects handled by Shyama sastri in his compositions?
- What are the group Kritis composed by Sri Thyagaraja
- Which musical aspects come under Manodharma sangeetam?
- What are the sections of Raga alapana.
- What are the different types of Tanam.
- Mention the musical aspect of Manodharma Sangeetam which involves rhythm, melody and Sahitayam at the same time.
- What is the format of a Pallavi singing.
- What are the different methods adopted by the artist while singing Ragamalika kalpana swarams
- Mention the ten types of Gamakas and their symbols.
- Which are the musical forms handled by the trinities in a different way?
- How are the style of the trinities described usually?
- Tana varnam – 1 Adi Talam in Tisram + Akaram practice
- Ada tala varnam – 2 ( In Suddha madyama Raga ) Practice in the following Keerthana's Raga & Kalpana Swaras ( Karaharapriya , Suddadanyasi, Thodi , Malayamarutham , Sriranjani , Saveri , Mohanam , Bilahari, Sahana, Kanada ) in any talam
- 2 kalai Keerthana – 2 (any composer)
- Sri Thiyagarajar - 2
(Thiruvotriyur pancharathnam or Kovur pancharathnam – 1 and any one ( Apoorva raga )Thiyagarajar’s)
- Sri Muthuswami Dheekshithar – 2
- Sri Shyama sastri – 2
- Arunachala Kavirayar - 2
- Patnam Subramaniya Iyer – 1
- Swathi Thirunaal – 2
- M.M. Dhandabani Desigar - 1
- Gana raga Pancharathnam – 1 (Nattai)
- Ata tala Varnam -2 (In any Prathimadyama Raga)
- Sri Thiyagarajar Keerthana – 2 (Lalgudi pancharathnam or Srirangam - 1 and any one Apoorva raga Thiyagarajar’s)
- Muthuswami Dheekshithar 4 (Any Raga and any Tala)
- Nava varnam – 1
- Navagraham – 1
- Panchaboodhasthalam – 1
- Other 1
- Sri Shyama Sastri - 2 ( Any Raga and any Tala )
- Dasar Padam – 2( Any Raga and any Tala )
- Muthuththandavar - 2( Any Raga and any Tala )
- Gana raga pancharathnam – 2 (Sri and Varali)
- Padam – 2
- Javali – 2
- Thillana – 2
PracticalAbility to render the following compositions set to Adi 1 and 2 kalai , Rupakam , Kandachapu , Misrachapu and Misra jambai Talams. ( Any Raga )
- Sri Thiyagarajar Keerthana – (Thirumalai 1 and any other Apoorva raga 1)
- Sri Muthuswami Deekshithar - 2
- Vivadhi kriti – 4 ( Ganamurti , Vagadeeswari, Chalanata , Chandrajothi , Jyotiswarupini , Nasikabhushani )
- Subburaya Sastri – 1
- Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar - 1
- Mysore Vasudevachariyar – 2
- Oothukadu Venkata Subbaiyar – 2
- Papanasam Sivan – 2
- Marimutha Pillai - 2
- Navarathri kriti (Swathi Thirunaal ) – 1
- Ragamalika – 1
- Lalgudi Thillana – 1
- Niraval for above Krithis
- Introduction of RTP (Ragam Talam Pallavi)
PracticalAble to present a Concert with accompaniments
2 Kalai Keerthana with Ragam, Niraval, Kalpana Swaram with Korvai
( OR )
- Ragam, Tanam, Pallavi
- Niraval 1st and 2nd speed
- Kalpana Swaram 1st and 2nd speed
- Korvai in Kalpana Swaram
How to Apply?